Learn how to clean your uPVC windows and doors with the latest guide from Plan-it Windows, including tips on how to brighten white uPVC and what chemicals to avoid using.
Even though uPVC windows can withstand years without maintenance, it’s still essential to wash them regularly, particularly for white frames that accumulate dust and dirt.
For properties located in towns, cities, or coastal areas, we recommend cleaning every three months, and twice a year for rural areas.
Read on for the best cleaning methods and answers to common questions about uPVC cleaning.
What is the best way to clean uPVC window frames?
- Open the window and vacuum dirt from every alcove, including hinges and opening mechanisms.
- Use warm soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge to wipe down the dirty window.
- Do not use scouring pads or cream cleaners as they can scratch the uPVC.
- Remove excess water and dry with a non-abrasive cloth.
- Mix 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup of liquid soap for crystal-clear
- Dip old newspaper into the cleaning solution and use it to wipe the windows in a circular pattern to remove smears, wax, and dirty spots.
How to Clean Inside uPVC Window Frames
Here are some steps to clean inside uPVC window frames:
- Open the window as far as possible, without forcing it.
- Vacuum the hinges to remove any dust or debris buildup.
- Use a soft brush vacuum attachment to clean the frame’s corners and edges.
- Clean the inside of the frame using a soft cloth and mild soap solution.
- Lubricate the hinges with a few drops of multi-purpose oil to keep them functioning smoothly.
What Not to Use on Your uPVC Window Frame
Avoid using these cleaning agents on your uPVC window frames:
- Glass cleaner
- Bleach, methylated spirits, white spirits or WD40
- Cream cleaners, scouring powder or other abrasive cleaners
- Caustic or ammonia-based cleaning agents
- Steel wool or scouring pads
- Cellulose thinners
How to Clean uPVC Window Frames
- Brush off any dust and loose dirt using a soft brush or cloth.
- Rinse the windows with clean water using a hose if available.
- Make a warm soapy solution using a squirt of washing-up liquid or a dedicated liquid window cleaner.
- Use a soft cloth and the soap solution to wash down the frames and windowpane.
- Rinse again with clean water.
- Use a quality squeegee with a soft blade to remove excess water from the window surface.
- For a sparkle finish, use a specific window cleaning spray or mix ½ cups of vinegar with 2 cups of water and a few drops of washing-up liquid.
- Use a soft cloth to apply the solution and then use old newspaper to rub in a circular motion to dry the window to a sparkly finish.
- Do NOT use a scouring pad, wire wool, sponge with a scouring surface, or spray window cleaning solutions on the frames.
How to Clean uPVC Window Sills
- Make a warm, soapy solution with washing-up liquid or liquid window cleaner.
- Use a non-scratchy sponge or cloth to wash the sills.
- For stubborn dirt, soak the sill and wait for five minutes before rubbing again.
- Avoid using scouring pads or cream cleaners to prevent scratches and permanent damage.
How Can I Get My uPVC White Again?
If your white uPVC frames have yellowed due to age or low quality, unfortunately there is no way to restore the whiteness.
If the frames are dull and discoloured due to scratches from abrasive products, there is also no solution. However, if the frames are discoloured from grime and dirt, you can try using a vinegar solution:
- Mix 1 cup vinegar with 4 cups hot water
- Spray on the uPVC
- Leave for 10 minutes
- Wipe down with a dry cloth
Never use bleach, white spirits, or anything rough with too much pressure, as it can permanently scratch and damage the surface of the uPVC.
Also, be aware that some detergents can stain your window frames permanently due to hidden colourants.
Can You Use Bleach on uPVC Windows?
Avoid using bleach to clean uPVC window frames or sills as it can damage the surface and cause permanent discolouration.
Bleach can react with the chemicals in uPVC, leaving it looking dull or even tinted, and this damage cannot be reversed.
Can You Clean uPVC with White Spirit?
Using white spirits, methylated spirits, or WD40 to clean uPVC frames or doors is a bad idea. They can cause permanent damage to the surface.
For more hints and tips regarding everything windows and doors, keep it here at Plan-it Windows.
Looking for a home improvement expert?
Home improvements are a big decision, so you’ll need an expert you can trust. From uPVC doors and windows to conservatories with tiled roofs – no matter the job, we’ve got hands-on experience in it all. Whether you’re in Bolton, Bury or the Manchester area, give our team a call and we will give your home the perfect finishing touch.
Our customers are saying great things
Really friendly & really efficientSuffered a burglary and so needed new French doors ASAP, received a flyer through the door the week before which was lucky, gave them a call, really friendly, really efficient and cheap too, they did...
Miss McDonald – Darcy Lever
Very thorough & very friendlyGreat set of lads, very thorough and very very friendly, straight forward explained everything dead simple, no fancy jargon or strategies, just good customer service and real easy. Windows look great and the bi-fold is...
Mr & Mrs McCormack – Astley Bridge
Everything spot onBuilt 3 houses, was recommended Plan-it by a friend of the family, gave them a try and will be using them again. No hassle, left them too it, everything spot on. Houses look great.
Mr Hilton – Tong Moor
Over the moon with the installationA friend told me about the service from Plan-it and I give them a ring. They came on time and didn’t take ages, price was really really good and we are over the moon with...
Mr Hynes – Bolton
The quality and standard is excellentI wouldn't hesitate to recommend Plan-It Windows. They installed replacement windows, panes and a complete front door. The quality and standard is excellent. The team was friendly and very professional. Everything was left clean and...
I would highly recommendEveryone from Plan-It Windows has been helpful, polite and prompt. I am very happy with the windows that Pete and Dave installed. They did a very neat and tidy job and were pleasant company throughout...
I am very pleased with the work doneI am very pleased with the work done. Professional team, quick quote and great customer service. Reasonable prices. I would recommend this company and would be happy to use them in the future.
Start your project with Plan-it
A committed team of suppliers and installers, we have over 20 years’ worth of expert knowledge and experience in the North West’s residential sector. Plan-it Windows are wholeheartedly dedicated to delivering a jargon free, supportive and tailor-made service to each and every customer.
Start your project
"*" indicates required fields
Fantastic service, replaced all the doors, windows and roofline on our old house and did a great job. High quality and great value. Got them to do the roofline and cladding on our new home and again excellent workmanship and great value. Can’t recommend enough.